The amazing DR Peter Dobias, Holistic Vet, is back on the Podcast to discuss something that is so important to anyone caring for any animal / human in their lives!
- 00:01:33 - What’s in store this episode
- 00:06:26 - My guest: Dr Peter Dobias
- 00:08:51 - The world’s oldest dog, Bobi
- 00:19:02 - Coping when Bobi dies
- 00:21:15 - Fundraising for Bobi?
- 00:23:37 - Longevity in the world
- 00:24:00 - The benefits of pet freedom
- 00:36:27 - Nutrition challenges
- 00:40:04 - What is a “normal” age for a dog?
- 00:43:45 - Peter’s advice on diet and body condition
- 00:54:46 - Nutrition supplements
- 00:59:46 - The importance of spinal health
- 01:03:46 - Healthy teeth and immunisation
- 01:10:55 - Medication and exercise
- 01:13:31 - Final thoughts
- Bobi, the world’s oldest dog, lives an incredible and happy, simple life and has made it to 31 years old! In this episode, we discuss many contributors as to why this may be.
- Freedom is so important for our animals’ physical and mental health. Note that some animals are genetically predisposed to certain behaviours, so in our modern society it’s our responsibility to exercise common sense when giving our dogs as much freedom as we can.
- Excessive control and restrictions lead to unhappy animals and people! It is possible to have organisation without control.
- There’s no hard and fast diet for all dogs - take Peter’s guideline and try a few things and see how they do on the different proportions.
- Intermittent fasting and meals can actually be easier and beneficial for some dogs (not puppies)! In the wild, they would not eat on a regular basis.
- I recommend checking out Peter’s dog food recipe maker!
- The spine is the highway of energy for the whole body, we need to take care of it!
- Everyday is a learning day - just keep doing your best and stay curious.
Peter has over 30 years of experience as a veterinarian. He has a background in both holistic and conventional veterinary medicine, animal homeopathy, and natural nutrition. In 2008, he sold his thriving holistic veterinary practice in North Vancouver, BC, Canada to pursue his passion for educating the public about disease prevention and natural treatment methods.
His goal is to help dog lovers create a healthy and long life for their canine friends naturally. His supplements and other products are made from all-natural, human-grade ingredients that are certified organic whenever possible.
You can learn more about Peter Dobias at:
Peter's Podcast: Not Just About Dogs.
The Roots Brand
CEA - Dog Nutrition Course
CEA - Cat Nutrition Course
Follow me on social media: