Dr Lafina Diamandis is a GP and a lifestyle medicine doctor with her private clinic, Deia Health. Lafina has an extensive education history including King’s College for medicine and UCL for a masters in brain and mind science. Lafina is hugely passionate about a holistic approach to healthcare and the benefits of lifestyle medicine.
In this episode, Nicole invites Dr Lafina onto the show to discuss the pitfalls of the medical and healthcare system, particularly on chronic illness and how lifestyle factors can hugely impact your health, as well as why she decided to combine lifestyle medicine within her practice and the results her patients have seen as a direct result.
DISCLAIMER: The content in this podcast and related website is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice. It is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat, instead it is designed to help educate and inspire. Always seek the advice of a professional medical practitioner or qualified health practitioner. Never ignore or disregard advice given to you based on information in this podcast or related website and do not delay in seeking medical advice.
- [01:54] - When and why Dr Lafina begun using lifestyle medicine in her practice
- [07:04] - The evidence behind using the lifestyle medicine approach
- [10:59] - How Dr Lafina sees functional and lifestyle medicine benefiting patients suffering with chronic illnesses
- [12:33] - Nicole’s personal experience with autoimmunity and why it took so long to get a diagnosis
- [15:18] - Blending therapies and the benefits it can bring for some people
- [16:12] - Combining conventional and functional together for a fatigue and depression case study
- [20:53] - Guiding people to help them make an informed decision about their health
- [21:38] - Looking at all of the pathways when it comes to treating thyroid issues
- [25:40] - The impact that small changes can have when it comes to treating chronic illnesses
- [29:54] - Looking into preventative methods for things like Alzhemier's and Dementia
- [30:52] - Challenges Dr Lafina has faced when incorporating lifestyle medicine into her practice
- [35:26] - Implementing new habits and behaviours
- [39:44] - Combining Nicole and Dr Lafina’s expertise together!
- [47:49] - The one thing Dr Lafina wants for listeners to walk away with from this episode
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How functional and lifestyle medicine can help those suffering with chronic illnesses
- Why smaller changes have a more significant impact than you may think
- How we can implement preventative measures into our lifestyle
- Why it’s important to be open minded and willing to implement new things
- The benefits of combining a conventional and functional medicine approach
IMPORTANT LINKS & MENTIONS: