When your passion serves millions of people and the environment, through a successful and sustainable business, it’s a pretty powerful combination. Interviewing Nick Russill for the 2nd time, we focused on Snow-Forecast.com, a business he co-founded over 25 years ago. Now one of the internet’s most widely-used specialist weather websites, along with its sister websites it supports a global audience of over 50 million users each year. Nick is passionate about using his voice to help people become more aware of ways to reduce their environmental impact and to acknowledge climate change.
In this insightful interview, Nick
- Summarises the purpose of his website, snow-forecast.com, with an insight of its scale of users and the site’s business model.
- Explains the website’s different revenue streams, and his preference for subscriptions and direct deals over advertising an income revenue.
- Details the turnover of the business and the vast increase in subscribers following the Covid-19 pandemic, recognising the impact of snow-forecast's 'sister websites' on the increase in users.
- Recounts how his education and personal life led him and his partners to create forecasts for specialist activities, and the decisions that led them to launch a public website.
- Enthuses about the community served by the website, and that community's impact on decisions they make in operating the website.
- Pinpoints the moment when he realised the business was sustainable and successful, as the website started to create revenue.
- Highlights the new challenges involved operating the five sister websites and shares his hopes for the growth of the websites, and some new innovations for future proofing.
- Stresses the importance of a strong company culture and how their own company culture allows them to turn issues into advantages.
- Reveals lessons he’s learned from the business, including not pursuing side streams that aren’t lucrative, and the importance of consulting other sources for innovation and technical input.