How exhilarating to learn and to be inspired whilst on the wild and beautiful St. David’s peninsula. That’s exactly what the TYF Group provides with their leading sustainability, adventure and education business that helps people reconnect to nature, to possibility and to each other. They have been on a mission for over 35 years to inspire customers of all ages with low-carbon, eco-friendly outfitted adventures, training and education programmes, all nestled in nature’s best surroundings. We discussed how Andy’s passions have combined with business over the years.
In this energising and inspirational interview, Andy Middleton
- Outlines the activities and services that the business provides, and how he manages a wide variety of revenue streams.
- Describes some of the fundamental issues he’s seen repeatedly in businesses over his long career.
- Talks through the early days of the business and when he first knew he was ‘on to something’, including some of its early successes in terms of impact on individuals.
- Discusses the process and funding behind turning a hotel into an organic adventure lodge in his 20s.
- Stresses the importance of the public and private sectors working together towards common goals.
- Recalls how introducing the ‘ambition design framework’ steered the trajectory of the business, and how this focus allowed the business to drill down into its wider impact, instead of being motivated by money.
- Reiterates the importance of finding and developing leaders, and of focusing on creating positive impact by involving people from all backgrounds.
- Explains what a company needs to do to become a certified B Corp, and some of the positive experiences that he has had in meeting with other B Corp businesses.
- Shares key learnings from his time in business including harnessing potential, asking yourself what the world needs you to do, and that ideas are worth little if your team isn't infused with your vision.