Sheela Hobden joins us to discuss how we can harness the power of checklists to create a routine! When people fail to reach their goals, they often just stop trying or feel a lot of shame. Be realistic and learn to encourage yourself by taking on a range of targets instead of one. Sheela also recommends creating identity-based goals to ensure that you keep building your new identity even after completing certain milestones. Start small, and eventually, you’ll see these good habits stick!
If you want to know how to create helpful habits to change your life, stay tuned to this episode.
[04:31] Why Routine is Important
- Our brain loves routine because of its certainty.
- The model notes that when our routines change, there will be a threat response.
[08:24] Free Your Mind with Checklists
- Don’t underestimate checklists.
- Your brain can think of a few things all at the same time.
[13:54] Build a Habit through Routines
- The more you practice your routine, the more it becomes a habit.
- Anchor a new habit on something else you’re already doing.
[20:00] Don’t Underestimate Small Changes
- Create significant changes in your life with small changes every day.
- Create a range of targets instead of just one goal.
[23:14] Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Routine?
- Remember that the things you choose to do are ingrained in what you want in life.
- Simple actions can lead to contentment and happiness.
[26:46] Time, Generosity, and Purpose
- When you keep yourself too open to choices, you can become paralysed.
- Be kind to your future self and plan the best choices for them.
[32:34] Create Good Routines at Work
- Emails and notifications are common distractions at work.
- Don’t tackle a challenging task when you don’t have the energy for it.
[37:42] The How and Why Behind Tasks
- Working out the hows of a task helps you identify ways to make it easier.
ResourcesSupport the show